Friday 24 September 2010

Round Cumbrae 10 Mile Road Race, 12th September 2010

I decided to get my 2010/11 winter season underway with this smashing little event which begins in the Isle of Cumbrae's only town, Millport, encompasses a lap of the island and finishes back from whence you came in Millport. I ran the race on my 19th birthday on 15th September 2002, clocking 64:01 on a blustery day, then in 2008 where a time of 57:04 brought 4th place. I welcomed the chance to return. I had taken a week off following a very successful summer (more on that in future posts) and having had a good week's training behind me, including a session of 8 x 3 minutes at the Glasgow Endurance Session the day before, I was looking for a good competitive run prior to the Stirling 10k the following week.

With my travelling support in tow (Maw, Paw and big bro), I embarked on the hour's drive to Largs for the 15 minute crossing to Cumbrae. A short bus trip thereafter takes you to Millport. I was there 2 hours before the 2pm start so I had some time to stroll along the coast, take photos, collect and pin on my number and sit in the Ritz Cafe for a caramel cake and mug of tea. During this time, I met one of my old work colleagues from Morrisons, now with Sainsburys, who was on the island doing a sponsored walk.
Race time drew nearer and the number of vest clad individuals hanging around grew. I chatted to one of my old Calderglen Harriers team mates, David Searil, who was in attendance with his wife. After a slight delay due to the starting pistol being lost, the field of 158 runners were off.

I soon found myself in a lead group of 4 with 3 Corstorphine athletes. One of these was David Simpson who had beaten me to the runners up spot at the Pencuik 10k in May. I had a loose game plan to take it relaxed to 3 miles then pick things up. By then, the other 2 guys had gradually dropped off, but not by much, and I found myself slightly behind Simpson in 2nd. I felt the race was still there to be won though a combination of ring rustiness and a slight lack of stamina attributed to my post-summer break put paid to that. I struggled in particular from 5-7 miles when the breeze was at its strongest. I was a relieved man to see the "Welcome to Millport" sign. The race is actually closer to 10.25 miles rather than 10. In those circumstances, I was pleased with a time of 53:02 which was in fact only 8 seconds slower than my 10 mile best from the Tom Scott Road Race in April this year. Simpson was a minute and a half clear of me in the end and I had a gap of half a minute on his 3rd placed club mate. I wasn't too disappointed to see my 2 road race winning streak following wins at the Dundonald and Irvine 10ks in August come to an end. I had enjoyed the company of some cyclists around the island and of one wee boy near the end who shouted after me "he wis oan ma bus." Only in Scotland.
After a mile or so cool down, during which I was given some advice by a non-running local about my lack of knee lift, asked by another little boy whether I had jogged round the island yet and barked at by a poodle, in the absence of shower facilities, I took a dip in the sea fully clothed in my club vest and shorts. Thereafter, it was feeding time at the town hall for the prize giving where I got the nice bonus of a £30 prize before jumping the bus then ferry then car to go homeward bound.

Whatever your standard, get this race in your diary. It will not disappoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment